Sunday, August 14, 2011

MACHU PICCHU!!!

Peru Friday August 12, 2011

Wake up call at 4:30am, breakfast at 5am, met by tour guide at 5:30, rush down to the bus area…. Wait in incredibly long line to be amongst the first to get up to Machu Picchu!!! It was about a 20 minute drive up the mountain, another long line and finally WE WERE AT MACHU PICCHU!!!!!! This ancient Inca city is high up on a mountain top, surrounded by huge (and STEEP) mountain peaks. The views are breath taking.

Words and photos do NOT do this place justice. It is (I think) one of the modern Seven Wonders of the World. This was an Inca city built in the 15th century as a higher place of learning. It was “rediscovered” in 1911 (100 year anniversary this year!) by a North American named Hiram Bingham. The local farmers knew about it and he paid an 11 year old boy to take him up to it. At that time it was totally taken over by the forest. I think he spent the next five years with a team doing excavations.

We had a wonderful guide, Jacqueline, who took us around for two hours and told us about the history and the hypotheses of each of the buildings and grounds. Absolutely fascinating. We had perfect weather, clear blue skies (it is often cloudy), warm with a light breeze. There are about 20 llamas that live up there and keep the grasses trimmed.

After the tour, we split into small groups and some of us went for hikes. My group hiked up to the Sun Temple to get some nice views of the area. We hiked for about 2-3 hours. Not super strenuous and steep, but not a stroll in the park (or on the beach) either!!

Then we headed up Machu Picchu Mountain to get the ultimate views of the city. We were told the hike would take about an hour up then another hour back… not sure who times it! Imagine: climbing up a ladder (that is how steep the trail is) made out of stone steps of all different heights… climb like this for two hours… and you will be at the top of the mountain!!! I only made it an hour before I finally had to call it quits. The mountain literally “whupped my bootie” (I actually was using a different word at the time). The others did make it to the top, with much stress, strain, cursing and sweating (and swearing). Most were in their 20’s. The only other 50+ was a tri-athlete. They were very proud of making it to the top, and they should be! It was quite an accomplishment. I am sorry I did not make it, but I don’t know if I could have made it down safely if I had kept on going!!

I went back down into the city of Machu Picchu and walked around on my own, laid in the grass for awhile and finally headed back to the bus area. I could not even consider walking back to town after that. My quads were so sore and shakey!!

The group members that did not do any hiking did different things like walking back to Aguas Calientes (again, steep stone steps), or just taking the bus back to the town. As we all staggered in at different times, the first thing was to take a long, hot shower! We were filthy!

Several of us went out for a nice dinner… managed to pack away a bit of food that meal! Followed by some yummy ice cream… their “helato” is a cross between our ice cream and gelato. Pretty tastey.

Our train ride back to Cusco leaves at 10:30 am tomorrow. Finally, don’t have to rush in the am!

Headed off to bed very early. I thing I was asleep by 8pm!! Michelle and Marcy followed closely behind.

Fabulous day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment